Re: Kernel Question WAS: 2 questions

Hi,
I suggest you read some basic Debian material for getting started.
This kind of information (basic Debian package handling) Google can give you. As with all architectures there are -image debs which will install a compiled binary image, and -source packages which will give you the source used for compiling the equivalent -image.
How to compile a sun4u kernel the Debian way (including google search terms): http://tinyurl.com/65wfq

How to configure a kernel for sun4u (or not): http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_4_7

That FAQ should also answer other basic questions for Sparc beginners. It's what helped me get started.
Also it helps to look over at the Gentoo folks' excellent Documentation. Basic architecture information is portable between distros and quite valuable I've learned.

Good luck !

-Alex

--
Alex Bartok