2 questions

i have a couple questions im hoping someone can help me out with, the
first is how can you tell if you are working in 64bit mode? from what ive
read there is 32bit userland so something of that sort, but where does the
64bit stuff come in and how can you tell if you are actually operating at
64bit? the second question is how can you tell if you are using both cpus?
i have a dell poweredge with dual processors and i have this in my ps aux:
root         3  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        SWN  Jun15   0:03
[ksoftirqd_CPU0]root         4  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        SWN  Jun15   0:05
[ksoftirqd_CPU1]
i have a sun ultra 2 with dual cpus and i only have this in the ps aux:

root         3  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        SWN  Sep07   0:00
[ksoftirqd_CPU0]

its a stock debian sparc kernel, im assuming that it would come default
with SMP enabled, am i correct? the kernel compile from what i have seen
is different than on an x86 platform so i have stayed away from it for the
time being, is that what i need to get both cpus rockin? and what is
ksoftirqd in the first place? these are headless boxes X is installed (for
now) but never used. the "k" in front doesnt mean its a KDE application
does it?
hope you can help

TIA

nick