Kernel Question WAS: 2 questions

i read somewhere that you have to skip some steps in the kernel compile,
like the make dep, etc, is this true? i have never compiled a kernel on a
sparc box, what do i have to do to compile the kernel? im assuming apt-get
blah will only install the kernel source, so what do i do from there?

TIA

nick

--
ComputerNick a.k.a. Nick Smith