Re: Debian on SparcStation 20

On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 21:07, Kelly Harding wrote:
> hi,
>
> I recently aquired a SparcStation 20 (SM50 MBus module, 64mb ram, TGX
> SBus graphics, 2x scsi hard drives (size unknown)).
>
> I am wanting to put Debian on this system. the box didn't come with a
> CD-ROM or floppy drive so I'm going to try to do a network install. It
> also didn't have a monitor/keyboard/mouse, so using serial console is my
> only option at present.
>
> I have aquired for it a SM71 module and a FastWide SCSI/Fast Ethernet
> SBus module also. I'm hoping to get another SM71 module for it shortly
> too.
>
> What I was wanting to ask was, are there any pitfalls and hardware
> compatibility problems I should be aware of? I've browsed the 'net for
> information and have read a fair deal and I think I should be able to
> get it going ok. The lack of keyboard/mouse/monitor isn't a problem to
> me as I intend to run it as a headless machine as I don't have enough
> room on my desk with the stereo, printer and 21" monitor I use on my
> Debian x86 box.
>
> Any useful pointers or help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kelly

If you're in or around North or West London, I have a spare keyboard and a vga
adaptor that you can borrow. I also have spare (RAM/Disk-less) SS10 & SS20
boxes which may or may not have some parts you could use.

I got 3 SS20s is running from network installations both Debian and RedHat
(Debian is better) - no problems once you get the tftp daemon working
correctly.

If you have any problems, I've probably had it before and solved it.

Let me know if I can help.

Everard