Re: where and how to get the latest kernel ?

for the kernel source, kernel.org is your friend.

you can also download pre-compiled kernels with apt. I find that it is best to download a pre-compiled kernel first, as that will automagically install support packages etc. for the new kernel. for example, the 2.6 kernel doesn't support the old old /dev structures, and simply downloading a kernel and compiling it will cause death and destruction. Once you've apt-got everything, download the source and play round with that. Debian standard is to keep the kernel source in /usr/src/linux-2.6.22 or whatever. Then symlink /usr/src/linux to the one you want.

Try apt-get -f install, like it said to. That will try to correct the dependency issues automatically. if that doesn't work, perhaps try using some more forcefull options, or run install from within dselect.

you may need to manually update the libc6 stuff, there may be some circular dependencies with those libs.

HTH,
-James

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:

Hi all , i just installed a woody on my sun Ultra 5
i'm looking for a way to make it a bit up to date , to get at least GTK 2 and run a recent gcc (3.3.x )
.
I try to find a way to get the latest available kernel , would you know ?
i would like to get the sources .
i would like to learn no compile + install it the debian way .
would you help me on that ?

for the moment if i try a "apt-get dist-upgrade " it gives :
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
libc6-dev-sparc64: Depends: libc6-sparc64 (= 2.2.5-11.5) but 2.2.5-11.2 is installed libc6-sparc64: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.2.5-11.5 is installed

and whatever the package i try to install it blocks here ... what to do ?

--
James McNeill
Medical Genome Centre