RE: noob with a few questions

Perhaps.  I don't care for using 4 and 5 for starting X.  I understand not
starting some or all network services in 2 and everything in 3, but in
practice I have never seen this used.  I suspect that is why everything is
started in 2.  Few people understand how to use run levels.  Like you said,
they know about single and default (run level), that's it.  Fewer still
understand how to use inittab, thus my dislike of sticking xdm/gdm in there.
I remember the first time I used Red Hat, scratching my head wondering why
on earth someone had decided to stick xdm in inittab and define a run level
for it.  But, perhaps that's my UNIX background intransigence...  ;-)

<> Jim