RE: noob with a few questions

Hi,

I don't think it is a Debian thing as various Unixes
have various use and definition of run levels. The
definition that was given below is very close to what
Solaris uses, but AIX, Tru64 or HPUX don't use that at
all. I think one of the reason why runlevels aren't
widely use is because what happens when you go from
one runlevel to another is not standardised. On some
Unixes it executes everything in the rcX.d directory
according to the K and S scripts and on other Unixes,
it just runs the difference between the two runlevels.
To top it all up, you have AIX, which doesn't use
rcX.d directory, but puts everything in the inittab.

So I don't think we can say that the Debian way is bad
because it doesn't stick to the Unix way, because
there is no Unix way.

My 2c,
Bertrand.
Perhaps.  I don't care for using 4 and 5 for