Re: New nic & kernel modules question

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:24:15AM -0000, Gary Parker wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm running 3.0r2 on an Ultra1 with the appropriate udelay(1) patch
> to hme.o to stop it locking up whenever I do anything vaguely useful with
> the box and a 64-bit egcs compiled version of the 2.4.24 kernel.
>
> I've just popped a 501-2981 ethernet/scsi card into the machine so I can
> mess about trying to set it up as a router but I don't have the lance driver
> compiled into the kernel or available as a module. Is it possible to simply
> compile that module on it's own or do I have to go through the whole
> rigmarole of a full kernel recompile using make-kpkg? And if so, how?

You should be able to reconfig the existing kernel source you compiled
from, adding the lance driver as a module, then do:

make dep
make modules
make modules_install

That should get you the lance module installed in the proper location.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/