Re: ssh pause on ultra 2

Thanks to all who responded. Indeed, the fix for my problem was to re-compile libssl with the -mv8 switch. To save the next newbie a bit of the learning curve I went through these are the steps I took to apply this fix:.

1) Installed the source for openssl (apt-get source openssl). This put the source tree in /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6c. 2) edited the Configure file in the source tree to add the -mv8 entry. I opened the Configure file in vi, did a search for debian-sparc and added the -mv8 entry directly after the "gcc:" part of the line. 3) installed some packages I was missing (fakeroot, dpkg-dev, debhelper). I don't know if I really needed all these, but this is what I did. 4) ran "/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6c/debian/rules binary" to rebuild a .deb file 5) installed the new libssl package (dpkg --install /usr/local/src/libssl0.9.6_0.9.6c-2.woody.4_sparc.deb)
6) restarted openssh

Viola!  Speedy connections to my ultra2.

Thanks again for the assistance everybody!
JJ Streicher-Bremer