ssh pause on ultra 2

I have woody installed on my ultra2 and have had this problem from the beginning. When I'm sshing to my system my clients (every one I have tried) pauses for approx 15 sec before coming back with a prompt (or connecting in the case of key-based auth). I do have forward _and_ reverse name lookups working on this host. I even tried compiling my own openssh with the same problem. When I run sshd in debug mode this is what I get.

ultra2:~# /usr/sbin/sshd -d
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: private host key: #0 type 1 RSA
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 2 DSA
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 192.168.1.4 port 3371
debug1: Client protocol version 2.0; client software version PuTTY-Snapshot-2003-06-24
debug1: no match: PuTTY-Snapshot-2003-06-24
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3
debug1: list_hostkey_types: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST_OLD received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP sent
------- 6 sec pause
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 201/384
debug1: bits set: 1583/3191
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT
debug1: bits set: 1594/3191
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY sent
-------- 6 sec pause
debug1: kex_derive_keys
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: KEX done

This is one of the last little niggles I have with my install of debian (now that I have RAID1 working) and I'd love to figure out what is going on. When I tried gentoo on this host, there was no pause at all connecting via ssh so I don't think it's hardware.

Thanks in advance
JJ Streicher-Bremer