Re: "Memory not aligned" kernel problem

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 15:13, Antonello wrote:
> My Ultra10 is currently running a 2.6.0 (test11) release and it works like a breeze.
> (compiled with the standard Debian procedure via make-kpkg)
> Some things (such as IDE support) are greatly improved in 2.6.
> I compiled ide support, sun creator framebuffer, iptables with many
>  features enabled (as modules), scsi support, serial console, Sun serial
> keyboard and mouse via Siemens SAB driver. No audio (I don't need it), no
> DRM (no X installed), nothing else than the necessary items. Ah, kernel
>  packet shaper is compiled and reported to work (even if I don't use it
> actively at the moment).

I have had some problems getting 2.6.0 test11 to work on my Ultra5.
Biggest problem was trying to get the (stripped) kernel under 3.5Mb.
Problem may be because I want LVM and RAID compiled in - not in the mood
for mucking about with initrd's at the moment.

Or maybe I left something in that I don't need?

Unfortunately the 3 hour compile cycle meant that I could not test
fully. So if someone else has done it there may be hope for me. :)

> Preemption is enabled.

I saw some reports that turning preemption on actually slows down Sparc
performance? Was on an older release (test5, I think). Has this been
resolved? Was it ever a problem?

- Matthew