Re: "Memory not aligned" kernel problem

On 19 Dec 2003 16:25:27 +0200
Matthew French <mfrench@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Biggest problem was trying to get the (stripped) kernel under 3.5Mb.
> Problem may be because I want LVM and RAID compiled in - not in the mood
> for mucking about with initrd's at the moment.

I don't use neither logical volume manager nor software RAID layer on my system, however my kernel (stripped) remains under the one-meg barrier.
It took very, very much less than three hours to compile however :) (333mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, YMMV)

> Or maybe I left something in that I don't need?

I removed ALL of what I didn't need (less the framebuffer, even if the machine is headless, sometimes I like to connect a monitor and look for the Sun penguin ;).
Crappish stuff like devfs, extra filesystems that I'll never even see on that machine, nfs client and server support (basically, nfs sucks ;)), support for SBUS devices, some network options I barely understand (QoS anyone?), multimedia drivers and tons of debugging options, plus crypto plug-ins were unmercfully removed from my setup ;)

> I saw some reports that turning preemption on actually slows down Sparc
> performance? Was on an older release (test5, I think). Has this been
> resolved? Was it ever a problem?

Of course it was.
Preemption didn't work properly on (ultra)SPARCs before pre11, according to the changelog.

Antonello