Re: Silo breakage creating woody r2 CDs for sparc

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:51:52PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

>> >I know they wont work, because isofs.b doesn't work like cd.b did, and
>> >you used a mkisofs that that was expecting that.
>>
>> No, I didn't, In the end I've used a woody mkisofs and the woody
>> silo. If _they_ don't work together, then things are screwed
>> altogether. That's how the r0 and r1 images are made, as far as I
>> know. Yes or no?
>
>If you used woody silo and woody mkisofs, then you are good to go.

Thank you. That's the information I was hoping to get out of you
several mails ago.

>> <sigh> A mirror is a mirror. It's getting ludicrous to expect people
>> to set up a completely separate woody-only mirror to build CDs. All
>> the other architectures work fine in this scenario.
>
>How the hell do you expect to build woody CD's if you are using shit
>from unstable to build it? It's even more ludicrous for you to expect
>that to work. Woody CD's should build from woody. How can you expect
>that things don't change across over a year of development?

Some consistency of the changes might not hurt. The fact that the
debian-cd code in both woody _and_ unstable still depends on very
specific behaviour of old versions of silo and mkisofs is a bit of a
problem here:

> silo_deb=`ls $MIRROR/pool/main/s/silo/silo_*.deb | tail -1`
> # put the relevant parts of SILO boot loader
> (ar p $silo_deb data.tar.gz | \
>         tar zxf - -C $inst/ ./boot/{cd,second}.b)

>I'm not taking any blame or guilt from your problems. You caused your
>own headache.

Thanks very much for the support, Ben. I've been working hard trying
to get some sparc CDs created, and I didn't think asking for some help
to get this job done was particularly out of order. Apparently I was
wrong. I hope you have time to get the installer and CDs ready for the
sarge release...

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.