Re: scanner/sane/SCSI problem [final]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Martin wrote:

> <snip>
> > > I had a similar problem with an HP ScanJet 5 (yes - it does play music)
> > > from talking to the folks on the SANE mailing lists it seems to be
> > > something to do with the SCSI drivers on SPARC but I never got further
> > > than that.  's very interesting that 2.2 works.  Sorry I can't be of
> > > more help.
> > OK, it's a little help anyway, since I was thinking of sending this to
> > some SANE people (no pun intended :) ).
> Last time I spoke to them the SANE dev. team were very keen to hear from
> people using GNU/Linux on non-x86 hardware and other more obscure set
> ups.
>
> Could you give a shout if you find out exactly what the problem is / how
> to fix it.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Martin

The problem was with SANE after all, and it has been fixed in recent
versions.

With woody, version 1.0.7 is distributed. I compiled sane-backends-1.0.13,
and found that "sane-find-scanner" correctly identifies the scanner using
both (2.2 and 2.4) kernels.

Below is a copy of some commands.  /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner is from
debian, ./sane-find-scanner is the compiled version. Under 2.4.17, the
Debian version incorrectly "finds" only a USB scanner at /dev/scanner.

/Pontus

rosalia:~# uname -a
Linux rosalia 2.4.17 #1 Mon Nov 17 19:09:40 CET 2003 sparc64 unknown
rosalia:~# /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner /dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/scanner
rosalia:~# ./sane-find-scanner /dev/scanner
found SCSI processor "EPSON Perfection1200 1.03" at /dev/scanner
rosalia:~#
Linux rosalia 2.2.20 #2 Wed Nov 26 15:47:00 CET 2003 sparc64 unknown
rosalia:~# /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner /dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "EPSON Perfection1200 1.03" at device /dev/scanner