debian woody problems with sparc20

Hi Newsgroup.
Somehow two old Sparc's dropped into my hands and because Solaris8 is such a
bloat, I would give Linux a try.
First I tried SuSE/Sparc, only to find out that the latest supported version
is 7.3, which is quite old and... it misses importantn things like sound and
java(sic!)
Then I found debian 3.0 and i d/L all the iso's and burned them nicely on
cd's.

But whenever I tried to install by booting from CD the system tries to
locate the root on NFS, then on fdd and then panics.
Too bad, I do *not* have a floppy in that Sparc's.
Something i missed? Due documentation did *not* mention any usefule
bootparameters.
And sorry... no network available on the site where the Sun's reside (for
now)

TIA

Karsten