Re: Image too large to fit into destination with 2.6.0-test9

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:46:53 +0100
Thomas Habets <thomas@habets.pp.se> wrote:

> I don't think this is unreasonable. Yes, I could have put three more into
> modules, and skipped the boot logos. But I also wanted .config in the kernel,
> and verbose SCSI errors, but they are off. Also like I said I had to manually
> strip arch/sparc/image for it to boot.

reiserfs is really huge.

While I'm not going to say you shouldn't use it, I will say
that sparc doesn't get much testing of this filesystem.

> Should I compile with -Os or what? Should I install another compiler? I'm
> using gcc 2.95.4.

That version of gcc is quite old.  Another thing is that sparc32
has had absolutely no optimizations done on it for 2.6.x, some header
file etc. tweaks could kill the size of the kernel quite a bit but
folks are concentrating on getting that port working first.