Re: Image too large to fit into destination with 2.6.0-test9

Oh my god.

I'm just struggling to get my E250 a new kernel (2.4.23-rc3), and
I'm constantly compiling. Right now I'm down to 3.9MB.. Seems
that won't cut it.

* on the Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:44:23AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:34:58 +0100
> Thomas Habets <thomas@habets.pp.se> wrote:
>
> > I thought that was what mattered, but is it fixable? 3MB is not enough for
> > everybody. I'd say it's hardly enough for anybody actually.
>
> It's more than enough, it's enough to fit the build that
> results from using arch/sparc64/defconfig which includes all
> onboard stock devices Sun ever put into an UltraSPARC system.

Ha! I turned off sound, parallel, framebuffer, the CD-Rom and all
related filesystems, all network-filesystems and really everything
I don't need, even things I'd need, like ipsec and ipv6. And I get
3.9MB with that, 4.8MB with all I'd like to have. But there's LVM
and Raid and iptables in there. And ext3. And it's of course not
enough to just have the stock devices in there, you need filesystems
and other things as well.

> The boot firmware only provides a few MEG of space with which
> we can unpack things.

Uh-uh.. And this of course gets worse with 64bit, and the 32bit-wide
instructions won't help either? So in fact, I'm like struggling
with some (640kb or around) memory-limit of lilo in the old times?
Only that this isn't the magical "bill-gates-says-640k-is-enough"
barrier but something else (the magical "david-s-miller-says-3mb-
is-enough"-barrier?? ;)))? Is it the firmware which does this, or
is this a hardware-barrier (like "IC too small")?

> You guys are building way WAAAY too much crap statically into your
> kernels, use modules and be happy.

I'm not happy. Because I had turned off modules on purpose. While
its possible to still insert things into the kernel by writing
directly into it, its much harder to do so. And there's a few
rootkits out there which use modules. So, turning off modules is
normally a sensible step, unless you're hampered by your hardware...

Well, I'm already recompiling.. with them buggering modules..
lets see..

Cheers
Peter
--
Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin