Re: Image too large to fit into destination with 2.6.0-test9

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 15:44, David S. Miller wrote:
> The boot firmware only provides a few MEG of space with which
> we can unpack things.

Oh. How many megs?
I assume making some kind of bzImage-like thing would be a lot of work?

An initrd wouldn't help (to be able to modulize SCSI), since an initrd
is put in the same small space?

> You guys are building way WAAAY too much crap statically into your
> kernels, use modules and be happy.

No I am not.

I had to strip arch/sparc/boot/image, and even then, this is what I have
compiled in that accepts "M" (but I don't want them as modules):
- --
Kernel Support for ELF binaries (seems like a good idea)
Sun Zilog8539 serial support (for serial console)
SCSI device support (rootfs)
SCSI disk support (rootfs)
SCSI cdrom (booting cds and emergency things)
SCSI ESP driver (rootfs)
Framebuffer Console support (it didn't work, even though tcx was in, maybe I
missed something)
Bootup logo (all three, sorry, this could be out. Noticed it now)
SCSI cdrom (booting from cds)
Unix domain sockets (was Y due to a missing EXPORT_SYMBOL() in test9)
Event interface (not sure if it can be module)
Sun Type 4 and Type 5 keyboard support (didn't seem to work)
ext2 (if ext3 bites me)
ext3 (rootfs)
reiserfs (I think I may change to reiser for root)
iso9660 (cdrom booting)
Default linux capabilities (could be module)
SHA1 (could be module)
AES (could be module)
- --
I don't think this is unreasonable. Yes, I could have put three more into
modules, and skipped the boot logos. But I also wanted .config in the kernel,
and verbose SCSI errors, but they are off. Also like I said I had to manually
strip arch/sparc/image for it to boot.

Should I compile with -Os or what? Should I install another compiler? I'm
using gcc 2.95.4.

typedef struct me_s {
  char name[]      = { "Thomas Habets" };
  char email[]     = { "thomas@habets.pp.se" };
  char kernel[]    = { "Linux 2.4" };
  char *pgpKey[]   = { "http://www.habets.pp.se/pubkey.txt"; };
  char pgp[] = { "A8A3 D1DD 4AE0 8467 7FDE  0945 286A E90A AD48 E854" };
  char coolcmd[]   = { "echo '. ./_&. ./_'>_;. ./_" };
} me_t;