Re: [debian-sparc] Update on mplayer support for Linux/SPARC

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:27:48 +0200 (CEST)
Erwann Abalea <erwann.abalea@certplus.com> wrote:

> BTW, without mlib, I can get a pretty good video experience on my 300 MHz
> Ultra2, but I have to allow the player to drop frames to get audio/video
> sync. When I'm only watching the video and nothing else runs, I sometimes

I solved many AV sync issues by using SDL audio and video output
drivers. However, on my Ultra 10, maybe because of the SLOW ide
controller and of the huge windowing system that I use (KDE 3, dual
display) it's quite impossible to watch a movie with a human-compliant
frame rate (at least on the PGX) ;). With mlib and the Creator board
instead I'm able to watch a movie (windowed, not in fullscreen mode)
with frame dropping disabled. I do have a SCSI controller, and an
external SCSI box for 6 SCA disks (think it's called an UniPack), but
the disks are old and their capacity is limited. I think the lack of
decent IDE busmastering on the Ultra10 is the main reason for my system
being slow as a little snail ;).

Now I'm trying to convince my employer to buy a new Sun workstation to
replace my x86 PC. I would to run Debian on it (side by side with
Solaris), so I am wondering if someone the list might give me some
advice on the most Penguin-compatible and valuable workstation to buy
(at a reasonable price, of course) ;). Any suggestion is appreciated ;)

Bye,
Antonello

--
Antonello <etn@libero.it> ICQ 8442040-MSN etn@libero.it - phone: ask :P

There will be no consolation prize / this time the bone is broken clean
no baptism, no reprise / and no sweet taste of victory [Jann Arden]