Re: [debian-sparc] Update on mplayer support for Linux/SPARC

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Antonello wrote:

> Where did you find the source deb-src? do you mean the official Debian
> archive?

Sorry, that was an older version (0.90-rc5). I downloaded the 1.0pre1
version from the MPlayer home page, there's a debian/ directory in the
archive, and a 'dpkg-buildpackage' does the rest. The resulting debian
package is named mplayer_0.90cvs_sparc.deb, though.

> > How can I say if mplayer was compiled with mlib support? Will a 'ldd
> > /usr/bin/mplayer' show something, or is something loaded at runtime?
>
> If compiled with mlib, mplayer outputs in console a message that sounds
> like: "using mlib for colorspace transform"

I'll test it when I'll be back home.

> If you haven't enabled mlib yet, I advice you to do it, since the
> performance boost (at no additional cost) is remarkable. I posted a
> pico-howto on this subject some time ago (with the precious help of Mr.
> Miller), you can find it in the mailing list archives.

I found your pico-howto, and I'll test it. I'm downloading the libmlib
packages, I'll test them later. Thanks.

BTW, without mlib, I can get a pretty good video experience on my 300 MHz
Ultra2, but I have to allow the player to drop frames to get audio/video
sync. When I'm only watching the video and nothing else runs, I sometimes
can notice that frames were dropped; the margin is very low, I can't even
run a simple 'top' in a console, or I loose too much frames. The film was
accessed by NFS, over a 10 MBps link (yes, between my workstation and my
fileserver, there's a 10 MBps hub somewhere, I have to find a cheap and
small 100 MBps one).

--
Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
-----