Re: cannot find sparc64.gz

> > > What sort of tasks?  I can believe heavily FP intensive tasks (like
> > > multimedia) are easier on an Athlon (even better on a PPC 9450 Iwould
> > > have thought) but I find that the significant cache on the processor I'm
> > > using makes a big difference on lots of other stuff.  Plus the lower (in
> You're living in a dream world ~:^)
No I'm exagerating somewhat.

I'm not claiming that compaired to the *latest* x86 chips I'm getting
better performance but I find [no figures on this - this a just a rough
guestimate based on how it feels to me] I can easily match and often
beat the performance of x86 machines of 2 -> 3 times the clock speed.
TBH the only difference I really notice between this UIIi based machine
and the ~2Ghz P4 I'm using at work is when I'm using Mozilla.

>  Don't get wrong, I'm no -anything-
> lover, and my company sells US2 based machines, but in the 6 years
> between when a 333 MHz US2 U5/10 was kinda state of the art, and when
> the Athlon XP2000 was kinda state of the art, X86 technology just got up
> and left the solar system.  A more appropriate question is which would
> you rather have: the 333MHz U5 or a 450MHz P2 from roughly the same era?
> The ultraSPARC box obviously has much better performance headroom and
> therefore a much longer useful lifespan.
Based on the era there is clearly no competition - what I guess I should
have said is that the UIIi I'm using seems capabile of matching most of
the x86 desktop machines I encounter on a daily basis for most tasks.
Sorry I'm working lots ATM and get a bit sketchy when I need sleep this
much :-\

Cheers,
 - Martin

--