Re: Debian 3.0 on Netra X1, installs but won't run

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 09:03:19AM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> > I just tftpbooted the images from
> >
> >   http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/
> >
> > The standard boot images would crash while booting.
> >

> That's helpful.  I found that the stock images were not recognized by
> the OpenBoot firmware.  Not exactly a crash, but neither were they
> successful.

Oh, the boot image at the above site doesn't support the NIC's on X1.
I removed the HDD and put it in another machine and loaded the
basedebs.tar, drivers.tgz, rescue.bin files manually. I then
tftpbooted the boot disk and installed from the HDD. The extra
drivers (again from above site) included a tulip driver which does
work and can be used to install everything else, although it will
order the NIC's in reverse order, so eth0 is network port 1 and eth1
is network port 0.

[...]
> >   /dev/hda1             0      5201   2621304   83  Linux native
> >   /dev/hda2  u       5201      6241    524160   82  Linux swap
> >   /dev/hda3             0     38790  19550160    5  Whole disk
> >   /dev/hda4          6241     38790  16404696   83  Linux native
>
> Interesting question.  In fact, I didn't put it first.  It's third

Ok. I think there's probably if swap is put first, so not having it
first is fine ;)

> because that's where solaris put it.  I don't have the machine, so I
> cannot reprint it here.  I know that I only had two partitions, 1 and
> 3.  1 is most of the disk and 3 has about 1G for swap.

Hmmm... That doesn't make sense. I thought 3 had to be the entire
disk? If you look at my partition table above 3 is the entire disk,
so 1, 2 and 4 actually overap with 3.

> The only other thing I can think of trying is the tftp image you
> suggest.  Have you been successful with booting the Debian/Sparc
> install CDs?

I don't have any IDE CD-ROM drives here to try that with, so no.

This machine is a:

 Sun Netra X1 (UltraSPARC-IIe 400MHz), No Keyboard
 OpenBoot 4.0, 640 MB memory installed, Serial #50737376.

and as of two minutes ago I have it running:

 2.5.70 #3 Sun Jun 15 03:08:48 EST 2003 sparc64 GNU/Linux

--
 Jamie Lenehan              Work Phone: +61 3 9843 8817
 lenehan@twibble.org        Work Email: jamie.lenehan@activcard.com.au