Debian 3.0 on Netra X1, installs but won't run

I've performed the install several times without producing a
successful result.

The system appears to install everything correctly, but once I boot to
the hard drive to finish the setup, there appear some mysterious
errors.

When I used the ext3 filesystem, I got kernel messages about the
journal being aborted.  I switched hard drives and filesystems (now
ext2) and found that the system wouldn't run because of segment
faults.

Has anyone been successful with the X1?