Re: Ultra 5 won't boot from HD after install

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 04:11:20PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:09:04PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I'm only guessing but OBP doesn't seem to detect the device, atleast not
> > at the OBP address that the "disk" alias points to.
> >
> > Try doing "boot disk1" or "boot disk2", "boot disk3"...
>
> That didn't work.
>
> show-devs reveals, among a bunch of other non-disk things, a disk at
> /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk, which is the device that disk seems to be
> pointing to (how do I view device aliases?).

Oddly enough, it's the "devalias" command :)

> I don't suppose there's some IDE equivalent to probe-scsi-all that I
> need to run, or something like that, is there?

Boot back to the install and switch to a the shell console (ALT+F2) and
use "dmesg | more" to see if you can find some info about your IDE. I
have an Ultra5 here working perfectly with a non-stock IDE drive, so I
know it works.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/