Re: Ultra 5 won't boot from HD after install

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:15:34PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> Hi all.  I just installed potato on an Ultra 5 (will upgrade once it's
> working, but that's all I had on CD) but the machine doesn't seem to
> want to boot from the IDE hard drive.  It had no problem booting the
> install CD and the installation seemed to go fine.  No errors were
> reported when installing SILO.
>
> Here's the output of my interaction with OpenBoot:
> ok boot disk
> Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0  File and args:
>
> Can't open boot device
>
> The partition table has a Linux partition first, occupying most of the
> disk, followed by swap.  The 3rd partition is the "entire disk" in the
> Sun disklable.
>
> The disk in the machine is not the original Sun-supplied disk but is an
> old 1.2 gig IDE disk.  The "manual with hardware detected defaults"
> option when creating a sun disklabel in fdisk seemed to pick the right
> values, according to the label on the disk, and as I said, there was no
> sign of problems during the installation of the system or of SILO.

I'm only guessing but OBP doesn't seem to detect the device, atleast not
at the OBP address that the "disk" alias points to.

Try doing "boot disk1" or "boot disk2", "boot disk3"...

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/