Re: best version of debian-sparc to use?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Gevaerts" <frank@gevaerts.be>
To: <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: best version of debian-sparc to use?

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:38:39AM -0600, ***** charles wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just acquired an SS20 with the following:
> >
> > 128M of ram
> > ZX frame buffer
> > 1G hard drive
> > Sony external bootable cdrom
> > 75MHz cpu
> > 19" monitor
> > keyboard / no mouse
> >
> > I have tried to install three different OS's on it
> > so far without success (Solaris 8, old version
> > of Red Hat - Sparc 6.0 and the latest Debian
> > Sparc download from an ISO sight).  Solaris
> > bombed because the frame buffer is unsupported.
> > RedHat version and the Debian Sparc version
> > bombed because of an error in the scsi sub-
> > system, got an esp0 unending loop off the
> > scsi bus.
> >
> > My questions:
> >
> > Which version of Debian-Sparc will successfully
> > load on my particular hardware combination?
>
> I have an SS20 running woody. I use the serial console (I don't have a
> framebuffer), and I originally installed slink on it (using a 2.0.*
> kernel). I dist-upgraded whenever a new stable release was made.
> Are you sure you don't have hardware problems ?

I don't have a Sun cdrom to check the compatability of my
Apple (Sony) drive.  I would think that since it boots all the
cd's I have tried that it should work ok but maybe not.  I did
find something in the older posts about RedHat that there was
a bug in the scsi driver that caused my particular error but I
would have thought that the newest Debian-Sparc that I
downloaded would have taken care of that.  I got the iso
off   http://www.linuxiso.org.  The other thought is that the
retailer I got the computer from has a pretty good reputation
and usually sells solid hardware.  I don't have any extra
Sun hardware laying around to do pull and replace diags
since I am new to this.

charles......