Debian GNU/Linux on SunFire 280R

Hello all,

How mature is the Debian GNU/Linux for 64bit SPARC Machines?  Our office
bought SunFire 280R
<http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/280r/sun280r_serverdatasheet.pdf> with
2 UltraSPARC III Cu 900Mhz SuperScalar SPARC V9 processors and 4GB RAM
intended for my mail server project that I'll administer soon but I'm
afraid to use Solaris 8 or probably Solaris 9 for this purpose because I
don't have any experience with Solaris OS.  I'm thinking of using
GNU/Linux and I think Debian would be the best distribution for SPARC
machines.  But I'm actually a Mandrake Linux user.  I'm just afraid I
can't use the tools that I usually use in my Mandrake Linux machines if
I'll use Solaris 8 or 9.

I hope I can convince my boss not to use Solaris 8 or 9 on that machine
instead, I will use and install GNU/Linux on it and Debian would be the
distribution.

Advice please?  Am I doing the right thing?  Practically, what would
you recommend for production server like this one?

By the way, the project is not just the usual mailing service.  All the
mails that will go out to our server will be by batch jobs because the
nature of the project is a notification and confirmation service for the
clients.  My preferred MTA is qmail.

Thanks in advance.

GNUbie
http://www.linuxmail.org/