Re: ext3 root partitions bad?

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:31:03AM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 09:52, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It's my understanding that SILO cannot handle a dirty ext3 root
> > partition as it really only understands ext2.  Is this correct?  If
> > so, I think the sparc install docs should mention that at least your
> > root should be ext2; ext3 (or some other fs) is ok for the rest of
> > your partitions.
>
> Attached is a patch to allow SILO to handle a dirty ext3 root partition.
>
> I'm pretty sure Ben C. has seen this already.

This is really interesting. All of my UltraSPARC's use ext3, and because
of the kernel work I do, they quite frequently crash. I've never once
had a problem with SILO coming back up correctly.

I think someone is mistaken. SILO need only be compiled with a version
of libext2 which understands ext3 (the latest does).

So potato compiled SILO is not ok for ext3. Woody SILO is.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/