Re: Sound card problem - help required

btt@vsnl.net wrote:

Hello,

I got this email id when I was searching for Sound Card Problems on www.google.com

It appears that you've posted this message to everyone and his dog. That's not recommended. It smacks of SPAM; yet your question below sounds legit enough that I'm taking a chance to respond to it. One of the places you posted the message to is the Debian-Sparc mailing list. So the first assumption I would have to make is that you're running Linux on a Sparc machine.

I am having problems in playing sound files in LINUX. I have described the problem that I am facing in the "Problem Faced" section below. If you know the solution please forward me the same as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Problem Faced:

When I try to play a sound file eg. phone.wav using play command I get the output "sox: Can't create output file '/dev/dsp': No such device"

In the '/dev' directory when I give 'ls /dev/dsp' or 'ls /dev/audio' command I get proper output.

When I give the command 'cat /dev/sndstat' I get the output 'No such device'.

After this I used the MAKEDEV utility with sound parameter eg. './MAKEDEV sound' which gives me the following output 'error: /etc/makedev.d is not a directory'.

When I say 'cat /proc/devices' I get proper output and in Character Devices, 14 is sound.

When I give the 'lsmod' command nothing is displayed.

All I am trying to achive is that when I give the command 'cat <filename> > /dev/audio' or 'play <filename>' I want the sound to be played properly.
It's been quite some time since I am struggling with this problem. I would be very glad if someone can help me out with this. Thanks in advance once again for any solutions given.

If there is any other information you require about my system please write back to me and I will send the same.

Yes, more info would be good, such as what type of machine are you running this on? What's the sound card brand/model? What distro of Linux (Debian?)? What version of that distro? And please, don't cross-post to half the world at once.