Re: Which Sparc is best?

Hello

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Craig Morehouse wrote:
> This makes much sense. I use SCSI on all the important Intel boxes.

FWIW, my Ultra5/IDE box experienced frequent disk troubles even when
it wasn't stressed much (desktop).  It kept randomly changing
characters in files, leading to visible problems say once per 2-3
months[1].  When stressed more (mini-server for 4-5 people), the bug
visibility raised to about one per 2-3 weeks, and eventually led to an
unusable system.  Both under Debian "pre-woody" and Solaris (I tested
Solaris in order to see whether it would improve, but nope -- my
impression was that it became even worse).

So, I think you would be probably better off with SCSI even for
desktops.

Tibor

Footnotes:
[1] Or faster, "almost" always, when untarring huge files.