Re: Which Sparc is best?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:46:56PM -0400, Craig Morehouse wrote:
> I'm new to Debian, but am going to be buying 30 workstations for a new
> operation, and I'd like to use Sun hardware running 3.0 Woody.
>
> Question, which Sun box has proven to be REALLY good and solid with Debian? Are
> the Ultra 2's better than Ultra 5's or 10's, or vice versa? Should I
> build a bunch os SS20's with 4 cpus, or should I get the latest Blade?

For the most tested and stable machines, go with an UltraSPARC. I'd
suggest one of two types of systems.

1) The early IDE line. E.g. Ultra 5 or 10. The reason being that the
machines are cheap to maintain and offer decent performance.

2) PCI SCSI based systems. E.g. Ultra 2, 30, 60. If you're interested in
SMP based systems, the 2 and 60 are the way to go. Debian's primary
archive (aka ftp-master, aka auric) is an Ultra60 with dual 450mhz cpu's,
1.5 gigs of ram and a ~240gig raid5 (Sun A1000 array).

You could go all out and get some Blade's. These are still fairly new,
but are well supported from what I've heard. Some of them still have
quirks with ethernet, I believe (Linux issue, not hardware).

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/