Re: Which Sparc is best?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:32:10PM -0700, Joshua Uziel wrote:

> the only issue I see is that Debian/SPARC is compiled for the lowest
> common denominator... the sun4c/sparcv7 systems. Those don't have
> the integer multiply and divide instructions... the only place I've
> noticed it is in using sshd, as it uses libssl (which apparently does
> a lot of integer multiplication and/or division).

Ohhhhhh!!! Thanks a lot! I had been wondering why ssh'ing into my Ultra
5 took so long compared to ssh'ing into an i386, or other Ultra's
running Solaris. I even asked my sysadmin. if the UltraSparc had a FPU.

If the FPU is not used, nor the mul and div instructions, no wonder it
is slow.

But this is great, nothing that a recompile wouldn't fix :)

Cheers!

Eloy.-