Woody/U1 installation problems

Hello again :-)

Installing Woody on an Ultra 1 via RARP/TFTP/HTTP using standard files from
a mirror...

Immediately before it enters the kernel module installation menu,

cannot create /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe: directory nonexistant

appears on the background of the display. I'm not sure whether this is a
problem...

If I try to create a boot disk, the machine hangs as soon as I press enter,
and does not respond to Stop-a.  The floppy spins in the drive, but there is
no head movement.  This appears to be the same problem as I wrote about
before when booting from floppies.

Assuming that I skip the boot disk creation, all is well until I reboot from
the hard disk for the first time, when I get all the way to the first
dialogue box saying 'Congratulations, you have successfully installed
Debian!' etc, but when I hit enter to continue the machine crashes with a
long series of dumps.

I also noticed that, as someone else mentioned, it can't read the hardware
clock as it is booting...am I right in thinking that the next stage of the
configuration would be setting up the time zone? Is it possible that this
crash is due to the clock not being set?

again, any advice very much appreciated

cheers

-Stu