Re: glibc compiling question

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:13:23PM +0200, Armijn Hemel wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I was wondering, I want to compile glibc from source on my Ultra1 (no,
> please, don't start about that I should apt-get it, I'm stubborn).
>
> I know about the 32bit userland on a 64 bit kernel and I was wondering
> if there are any problems. I ran into trouble a few times but not if
> I first ran sparc32. But will I get a right glibc then for my 64 bit
> kernel? I heard that the system calls between sparc and sparc64 are
> slightly different (but I'm not entirely sure, just a user).
>
> Any weird options I have to set? Need to offer something to a diety?

Be prepared to screw up your system. Installing glibc manually is not
for the faint of heart.

If you compile out of the box, you will get 32bit binaries. You do not
even want to mess with 64bit unless you are absolutely sure you know
what the heck you are doing.

You can always install libc6-dev-sparc64 and gcc-3.0 to get 64bit
development environment (just set CC="gcc-3.0 -m64" for compiles).

If you really want to know more about this, add some deb-src lines (or
download directly) and do "apt-get source glibc", and check out all the
build stuff in debian/*. Yes, there's a lot there, but you didn't expect
it to be simple, right? :)

Ben

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/