Re: SparcStation 1 w/ Debian boot prob.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:31:10PM +0200, Alexander Zangerl wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:58:11 CDT, Michael Hoye writes:
> >I've got a Sun4c SPARCstation, and a fairly straightforward problem. I
> >can't boot the bastard.
>
> that's not all of your problem: you cannot *reboot* the sucker.
> (i've had a similar problem with my ss1+)
>
> >installation no problem. When I get to the very end, it closes down
> >and restarts the machine and I get a stream of "boot, continue, new
> >command ..." on the screen, and no typing anything in.
>
> see <URL:http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_39>,
> setting sunmon-compat? to false helped me with my ss1+.
>
> >Resetting the boot gets me right back where I was - sd(0,0,0) not
> >responding. I can still boot off the CD, the CD runs throught the install
> >fine, I can't get into Debian after that for the life of me.
>
> that's another problem, not related to the warmboot-issue.
>
> try probe-scsi on the prom-prompt, does it tell
> you about your disk? what does printenv say? boot-device set to the
> same (id,lun,slice)-triple as it should be?
> which disk(s) did you install linux on? check the boot output of the
> kernel on the cdrom for hints.

I had a similar problem on a ss1. I was able to fix it by changing the scsi
id of the disk to 3. The boot prom still says it's booting from sd(0,0,0)
though... Before, it said the something along the lines of 'a scsi id on the
bus is not responding' IIRC.

Regards,

Filip

--
<CosmicRay> Overfiend: btw, are you aware that the NSA owns parts of the
            Linux kernel?