Re: SparcStation 1 w/ Debian boot prob.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:58:11 CDT, Michael Hoye writes:
>I've got a Sun4c SPARCstation, and a fairly straightforward problem. I
>can't boot the bastard.

that's not all of your problem: you cannot *reboot* the sucker.
(i've had a similar problem with my ss1+)

>installation no problem. When I get to the very end, it closes down
>and restarts the machine and I get a stream of "boot, continue, new
>command ..." on the screen, and no typing anything in.

see <URL:http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_39>,
setting sunmon-compat? to false helped me with my ss1+.

>Resetting the boot gets me right back where I was - sd(0,0,0) not
>responding. I can still boot off the CD, the CD runs throught the install
>fine, I can't get into Debian after that for the life of me.

that's another problem, not related to the warmboot-issue.

try probe-scsi on the prom-prompt, does it tell
you about your disk? what does printenv say? boot-device set to the
same (id,lun,slice)-triple as it should be?
which disk(s) did you install linux on? check the boot output of the
kernel on the cdrom for hints.

az

--
+ Alexander Zangerl + az@snafu.priv.at + www.snafu.priv.at             +
+ DSA 0x42BD645D + (RSA 0x5B586291) + sysadmin, biker, climber, weirdo +