Re: SparcStation 1 w/ Debian boot prob.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Alexander Zangerl wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:58:11 CDT, Michael Hoye writes:
> >I've got a Sun4c SPARCstation, and a fairly straightforward problem. I
> >can't boot the bastard.
>
> that's not all of your problem: you cannot *reboot* the sucker.
> (i've had a similar problem with my ss1+)

Good call.

[...]

> try probe-scsi on the prom-prompt, does it tell
> you about your disk? what does printenv say? boot-device set to the
> same (id,lun,slice)-triple as it should be?

Ahah!  Probe-scsi was what I needed. Thanks.

I didn't set the boot disk to anything, but I did find out that the drive
I'd installed Debian on was sd(0,5,0), and setting the thing to look for
(0,5,0) on boot, and setting the option that held "vmunix" to empty solved
the problem. It boots into Debian directly, no problems now.

Hah! I now have a computer, where before I only had a doorstop! Success is
mine!

For my next question - once I'm in Debian, how do I go about mounting a
SCSI CD? The "mount /cdrom" you'd expect to work, fstab having the right
info in it, tells me that the device is "not present", or something to
that effect. I've got a cdrom in /dev/, I've got an entry in fstab, and
yes, the thing is turned on. Any suggestions?

--
Mike Hoye

"The only thing you will ever be able to say in the
 so-called 'social' sciences is: 'some do, some don't.'"
				-Ernst Rutherford