Re: TFTP booting on SPARCstation IPX

On 21 Mar 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > Actually I have two IPXs with
> > 48Mb RAM and 16Mb RAM, ROM Rev 2.4 and ROM Rev. 2.3 respectively.
> >
> > They both act in exactly the same manner when I boot them from my other Sun
> > computer, a SPARCstation IPX using the command 'boot net'.  They will
> > successfully download the boot image and begin to execute it but they appear
> > to freeze on when they try to load Linux.  The screen says:
> >
> > OK boot net
> > Boot device: /sbus/le@0,c00000   File and args:
> > 1e460
> > TILO
> > Booting Linux...
> >
> > I have left them here for many minutes and they do not progress beyond this
> > point.  Pressing Stop+A has no effect.

	My experience has been that the potato tftp boot image will not
work with any Sun4Cs (IPX, IPC, ELC), only Sun4Ms (Sparc 5,20) (never
tested the Sun4Ds, don't have one...). For the Sun4Cs one has to do it the
"old fashion way":

boot server# arp -s {sun4c hostname} {MAC}
boot server# rarp -s {sun4c hostname} {MAC}
boot server# cd {tftp boot dir}
boot server# cp .../linux-a.out .
boot server# ln -s linux-a.out {MAC}.SUN4C
boot server# tar -xzf .../debian-sparc-root.tgz
boot server# ln -s debian-sparc-root {sun4c IP address}
boot server# vi /etc/exports
{Add .../debian-sparc-root as export to the sun4c host with rw and
 no_root_squash}
boot server# /etc/init.d/nfs-server restart

sun4c prom# boot net nfsroot=/.../{sun4c IP address}/ nfsaddrs={sun4c ip\
            address}:{boot server ip address}::255.255.255.0:::

This has worked for me on IPXs, ELCs, and IPCs without fail. A pain to
setup and do, but it will work. Note, the above is from memory, so it
might not be 100% corect, but should get you in the right direction. Good
luck!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |