BriteLite IPX keyboard troubles with 2.2/3.0 boot floppies

I just got a RDI BriteLite IPX as surplus from work, and I've been
attempting to get Debian going on it, but I keep running into problems
with the keyboard with the install kernel. I can boot it from
rescue.bin or linux-a.out from the sun4cdm/ directory, and while it
detects the keyboard as a Sun4 without keyclick (which is correct),
none of the keys work, not even Stop-A, making it impossible to use
the install program -- I have to power-cycle to get the machine back.
I've tried both the 2.2 and 3.0 boot floppies, and they behave the
same way.

Installing the system from the serial console seems to work, but it's
not practical because I only have a Mac printer cable at the moment
(DIN-8 to DIN-8), and the lack of handshaking on the Mac side makes it
very hard to use.

Is there a magic incantation to get the system keyboard working, or
will I have better luck getting a proper cable to connect the serial
console to my (Debian-running) PC?

-lee