From: Ferris McCormick [mailto:fmccor@patriot.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 8:28 AM
To: Antonio Prioglio
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org; xpert@XFree86.Org;
sparclinux@vger.kernel.org; suse-sparc@suse.com; Jon Leonard
Subject: Re: [Xpert]Re: DPMS, Screen blanking with Sun Creator3D (sun4u
systems)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Ferris McCormick wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Antonio Prioglio wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Ferris McCormick wrote:
[...]
> > I'd be getting a Creator 2D soon. I'll be happy to test it with a
> > GDM-17E10.
> >
> > Saluti,
> > Antonio Prioglio [antonio.prioglio@britishlibrary.net]
>
> Thanks for the interest.  I'll send out a patch file in the next day
> or so.  It modifies three source files:
> 	ffb.h
> 	ffb_driver.c
> 	ffb_dac.c
> and applies to the CVS version 4.1.99.1, of about November 1.  However
> the three files involved are dated 2001/05/04, and I haven't seen
anything
> else posted which would indicate conflicting changes to the driver.

As indicated, attached source patch file puts some DPMS support into
the Sun Creator/Elite driver for XF86, release 4.1.99(.1?)-CVS.
The driver is in the Xfree source tree at (if I type all this right)
	xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/sunffb

In that directory, the command
	patch -b < sunffb-4.1.99-DPMSMode.patch
should successfully patch the files "ffb.h, ffb_driver.c, ffb_dac.c";
after that just 'make' in that directory should get you a new
"sunffb_drv.o" (assuming you have already built everything once.)

Now, with X inactive, go to wherever your existing drivers are
(something like /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers depending on your
configuration), save the existing sunffb_drv.o, and bring in the new
one.

To play with it, make sure that the already-working-with-your-
Creator-card XF86Config file has the line
	Option	"DPMS"	"on"
in its "Monitor" section, and restart X.  "xset q" should now
report that you can use DPMS, and you can play with it.  Also,
if you want, "xset s on; xset s blank" should now work.  (If DPMS
Option is not set, the driver will not enable DPMS, but you can
change that behavior, of course.)

Also, keep in mind Jon Leonard's note I sent you.  I have no way
of knowing if his remarks apply to your configuration or not.

Good luck,
Regards,
Ferris

--