Installation / RCS

Hi, I'm running potato on a SS2 and don't have rcs installed for some
reason.

I downloaded 5.7 from the url given in the HOWTO and for some reason can't
get it to install.

As root I placed it in /etc/rcs-5.7 and then tried to install. I ran the
following two commands
># configure
># make install

On the second command it gets up to a part where it says that a certain
script (conf.sh) should'nt be run as root and exits.

I then exited root user and tried again
>$ make install

which produces spurious errors telling me it doesn't have sufficient
permission.

1)Has anybody else had this problem?
2)Should I have put it in /etc or /usr?
3)Failing this, how much extra work would it be for me to hand compile the
source?

Thanks in advance
Damian

Extra:
If debian is a the flavour for developers, why don't I have RCS installed ?
I selected everything when installing.

PS I did record the error logs but forgot to pick them up. Sorry.