Re: debian / solaris

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 05:39:52PM +0200, Loic Jaouen wrote:

> Look at the /usr/local/pkg of your solaris box and tell me if you
> don't see there: tar, openssl, gmake, gcc ...  Just something to
> take care of /usr/local/pkg and /usr/dangerous/pkg for generic and
> homegrew packages.

How about stow? I'm using it for all my local Solaris builds, and the
only package that was not sufficiently stow-aware (that I remember) is
teTeX. teTeX makes considerable effort to keep itself in one directory
anyway, so it's not a big issue.

Stow is old, but it's Perl, and works fine for me. Documentation even
includes bootstrapping instructions for using stow to manage both
itself and perl.

Package: stow
 GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
 by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree under
 /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion that
 all the software is installed in the same place.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu