Ultra 5/Mach 64 video strangeness

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this -- can't find any references
to it anywhere, which surprises me.

I've got a couple Ultra 5s here that I've tried installing Debian on
(several times...  everything from Woody to Potato to Sid, maybe others).
I can get through the install OK, and everything APPEARS to work correctly.
For a while.

After some random amount of time, the X display will freak out, and go
sorta snowy on me.  Ctrl-Alt-Bkspcing out gets me back to the command line,
but that's all screwed up, too.  It almost looks like the monitor's lost
synch (It's a Sun 21", btw, on the off chance that this is a monitor problem
and not an Ultra 5/Mach 64 one, though I'm relatively sure I didn't have
this monitor yet the first time I ran into the problem).  For what it's
worth, everything works like a charm under Solaris.

This happens consistently on both my current Ultra 5s, and used to happen
on one I've no longer got here.  Also, it's not a problem that's specific
to Debian, as I get the same weirdness with Red Hat and SUSE (which I've
tried in attempts to get around the problem).  Oh, yeah, Corel, too.

It just amazes me that something I've been able to reproduce on at least
three (relatively common) boxes doesn't seem to be talked about
anywhere...  Any suggestions?