Re: Debian installer can't recognise my seagate hd

> Hello fellow debian on sparc users/developers
>     Hi, I am trying to install debian on my sparcstation 2, and have
> come across a strange error.  I replaced the 100Mb Hd that came with the
> computer with a seagate 2.1 Gb one.  For some reason, the debian install
> cannot seem to find that drive on kernel boot.  This is strange, because
> it can be seen by probe-scsi, solaris, and even redhat!  Are their any
> modules I can pass at the SILO boot prompt to correct this?

I do not understand exactly: which boot do you mean? The very first boot
that installs the base system or the second boot that completes the
installation process (windows-way... :-)) and installs the packages?

If you are able to start the installation process by means of, say, the
rescue/root floppies (or network, cdrom, whatever) then the problem is
probably that you haven't created a "Sun disk label" when you have
partitioned your hd (if you need more details, please ask me directly and
I'll describe thoroughly what you need to do).

Anyway, I have several IPX/SS2 with larger HDs, and I can assure you that
everything works fine. If you need more help, please describe in detail
what you did.

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already
earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,
since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice."
- Albert Einstein

Sabino Maggi                     !  tel: (+39) 011-3919-449 *NEW*
IEN "G. Ferraris"                !  fax: (+39) 011-3463-84
Strada delle Cacce, 91           !  e-mail: maggi@ien.it
I-10135 Torino, Italy            !  http:   www.ien.it/~maggi