Re: Successful upgrade to potato, with work...

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 03:41:48PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I'm glad to see things finally came around for you. Sorry that there were
> > so many problems though. I'll try to resolve the libc6 issue with 2.0.x
> > kernels. It appears that there are more people running this old thing than
> > I had originally thought :)
> >
> > Most likely this close to release, I'll just add your (paraphrased) notes
> > to the Release Notes for sparc. This should ease other users upgrades
> > (sorry again that you had to be the one to do the trial and error :)
>
> Yikes.  His notes are sketchy and scrarey.  He says, "reinstall debian
> from cd".  Is that really a necessary step for upgrading?  And which
> versino did he reinstall from cd?

Obviously a reinstall is not what I want to suggest. What I want is for
people to install the new kernel first, then apt-get upgrade.

> It seems to me all we need is either a libc6 or else a
> kernel-image-2.2.15-* with a slightly different depends/conflicts
> lines... can't we fix this for Potato?  Believe me, it will be less
> pain to fix this now than later...

Impossible, unless I hack libc6's lchown() to not use the kernel's
syscall. That is something I don't want to do because it is what got us
into this problem in the first place (slink sparc had a hacked lchown so
it would work with 2.0.x).