Keyboard/mouse problems with X

Greetings,
I have an old Sparcstation IPC that I use as an X terminal sitting on my
desk here.  It has been working fine for a while now (uptime was 96 days,
not bad for here considering it's not on a UPS) using a 2.0.36 kernel and I
think it was mostly potato based (could have been slink, it was so long ago
I have forgotten).

Anyway, the 2.2.x kernel seemed to be getting a lot of good comments about
speed, so I installed that, then did a dist-upgrade to Woody ( I'm a
masochist, ok?).  The upgrade seems to have gone pretty well, no major
faults to report in that process, however, now when I start X, the keyboard
and mouse stop working completely, even to the point where doing stop-a does
not work.  Everything else seems to be ok, I can telnet/ssh in from
elsewhere and if I kill X off, I can redirect text to /dev/tty0 and it shows
up on screen.  The only solution I have found that fixes the keyboard/mouse
it to do a shutdown and restart.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Cheers
Michael Anthon