Re: sun4c floppy boot images status

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:42:29AM -0500, Ari Heitner wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I finally got ahold of a sparc 1+ sun4c to test the floppy boot
> > > images, and to my dismay, they worked perfectly (both the sun4c and
> >
> > Yeah, I think i said this (meant to if i didn't).
> >
> > I took the bootdisk I had been using for my 1+, tried it on my IPX, and it
> > died with the funky read error.
> >
> > BTW i did use an i386 box to write the images
>
> Ok, then it sounds like we are having problems with only IPX and IPC. Does
> anyone know anything about the floppy on this architecture? Are there
> known issues? Note, that the sun4c images are using a non-compressed
> kernel, so it isn't a matter of CPU/Mem. Plus it never reads the entire
> image anyway.
>
> Ben

I know I was never able to do anything with the floppy on my IPX (read
'cat /dev/fd0 | less', write 'cat /foo/bar > /dev/fd0', or format
'superformat') past performing the initial install (from Slink) and could
never figure out any answers or suggestions. I usually would get about a
screenful (~40 lines) of what I remember were mostly timing and sense key
errors?

--
Beiad Ian Q. Dalton