Re: New set of sparc boot disks

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 08:33:42PM -0800, John Chapman wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
> >
> > > The new set of disks are at:
> > >
> > > ftp://marcus.debian.net/pub/debian/disks-sparc/current
> >

> <sun4c failures>
>
> This is truly odd since they are the exact same kernels as before.

I also tried remaking the rescue floppies with bs=10k, just in case (last
year there was some problem with padding of the last block, or something
like that), and tried the 4c and 4cdm rescue disks from 6 January.  All of
them fail with the "Read error on block 73" and "Unknown /linux image
format" messages.  That is: SILO loads, we see the "Welcome to Debian"
screen with several paragraphs of text, get to a "boot:" prompt, and then
the kernel fails to load.  Could there be a wrong magic number or
something similar on the kernel image itself?

The kernel itself was OK; I rcp'd it to both the IPX and SS2 drives, named
it "test" in /etc/silo.conf, and it booted and ran.  There were a few
curiosities; as was already reported, the screen redraws on the IPX (with
monitor) were very slow--the effect is rather as though a moth is trapped
inside the monitor, and flutters along, repainting each letter two or
three times before going on to the next, while on the SS2 (with terminal)
there were floods of messages "zs_open ttyS0, tty overwrite", which might
have been the configuration (or lack of it) on the system itself.  (I had
linked /dev/console to /dev/ttyS0 , which might have been superfluous.)
Otherwise, the kernels seemed to run well, and quite a bit more quickly
than the 2.0.3x ones did.

John Chapman        hannes@eskimo.com       hannes@pop.nwnexus.com