Re: Troubles booting sparcstation over a network

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Maarten Vink wrote:

> After successfully installing debian on my PC, I thought I'd give my old
> Sparcstation a try. Since I don't have a monitor or floppy drive for it, I
> tried to boot it over my home network.
> After getting the tftpboot.img file and installing tftp on my PC, I got the
> following error message when booting the sparcstation:

It's kinda tricky to boot via net. Every machines looks for a specific
bootkernel with a specific name. In the TFTP boot docfile is discribed how
you can calculate the name - another way would be to start a tcp sniffer and
look what kinda requests the sparc is sending out. There you can see the
filename. If you have another Sun in the subnet try "snoop host".
Another helpful source would be the INSTALL Doc from debian.org.

I hope I helped a bit

R. Jaeschke