Re: Troubles booting sparcstation over a network

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Maarten Vink wrote:
>
> > After successfully installing debian on my PC, I thought I'd give my old
> > Sparcstation a try. Since I don't have a monitor or floppy drive for it,
> > tried to boot it over my home network.
> > After getting the tftpboot.img file and installing tftp on my PC, I got
the
> > following error message when booting the sparcstation:
>
> It's kinda tricky to boot via net. Every machines looks for a specific
> bootkernel with a specific name. In the TFTP boot docfile is discribed how
> you can calculate the name - another way would be to start a tcp sniffer
and
> look what kinda requests the sparc is sending out. There you can see the
> filename. If you have another Sun in the subnet try "snoop host".
> Another helpful source would be the INSTALL Doc from debian.org.
>
> I hope I helped a bit
>

> R. Jaeschke

 It does actually get the boot image; I see an incrementing counter, which
stops at a certain moment. After about a second, it displays the error
message. I tried the same thing with a sparc32 tftp-image from RedHat, which
also resulted in this error. I'm beginning to think it's some kind of
hardware problem; however, it works fine using Solaris, and ftp-ing a file
to and from the machine doesn't lead to any file corruption so I think the
network is OK.

Maarten Vink